Thursday, January 25, 2007

and the beat goes on.

So far so good. The weather has improved quite a bit. It was actually hot for part of the trip. I've stopped about 100km from Wenzhou, but I'm not sure exactly where I am. I hope to get into Wenzhou by tomorrow, and maybe take another day off. I can't believe I've been on the road almost 10 days. It is now definitely not flat. I've gone up some mighty big mountains already. I quite like it when I get out of the city and onto the country roads. Yes I don't have the big partition to keep me away from the big bad trucks, but for the most part it has been quiet and most of the cars and trucks have been very polite and given me lots of room. I've also decided that although I appreciate tunnels, because it means I'm going through the mountain and not over the mountain, and I can somewhat de-numb my butt, they are still a bit scary. I'm surprised though at how good the cars are about my bike. They don't seem angry they just either go around or wait until the traffic on the other side makes it possible to go around. I think there are enough bikes that my being on the bike isn't a big deal to them. Although when I ask for directions, most people are amazed that I'm riding. Most people are also smiling at me as I go on my way. I like that.
I've learned a few more things on this trip.
1. It is much harder to read a map if you don't read the language.
2. The signs can sometimes mislead (for example, the mileage varies-- it gains even though I have been traveling in a somewhat straight line.)
3. Ducks can be territorial and downright aggressive.
4. The dogs in China are by and large very mellow.
5. Despite this You can ride quite fast --even when exhausted-- at the bottom of the hill-- in high gear-- if there is an unchained dog barking at your feet.
6. A smile, a please and a thank you will get you far in any language.
7. People are kind.
8. It is amazing how much you can communicate with gestures and body language.

Until the next post, be good, be kind, and have fun.




























































































































1.)

2 comments:

sandybumz said...

Hey Sis
WOW
I cant wait to read all this (i did read beat goes on) and i will be able to read it FROM MY APT> !!!
thats right I FINALY got a puter and Im online so e-mail me or call me soon. I luv u and miss you. Its sooo kick ass what ur doing. PLZ stay safe!
Peace,
Sandy

Chris Lee said...

Christine, you are doing so well. It's amazing to know what you've gone through. Happy for you.