Friday, January 12, 2007

The things I'll miss

There are a lot of things I'm going to miss about living in China. I've been bumming around Asia for over 8 years now, and I must say "I know you won't believe me, but it is the truth to tell, that the living it is hard, but it suits me well." ~ Sandy Denny
In that spirit I offer a short list of some of the things I will miss:

My room-mate Jane, who has single handedly broken the bad room-mate karma that haunted me in Taiwan and Korea. She is One.Of.The.Best.Room-mates.Ever.

The wet market, where you can purchase fruits, vegetables, live chickens, long underwear, assorted sundries, flour, sugar, coffee, shampoo, fish, Chinese medicine of indeterminate uses, and a turtle. If you are so inclined.

Walking down alley ways and small roads and discovering really cool little shops with even cooler shop owners, who sometimes speak English, or not, but always offer an interesting exchange.

My neighborhood, with all its very interesting and varied denizens, and some pretty good street food.

Beijing Kau Ya. (roast duck) Little boutze (dry dumplings with meat and sauce), moon cakes, the little meat sticks (no I don't know what meat, and no, I don't want to know what meat), tomato and egg, fried eggplant in oyster sauce, assorted dishes that I'm not quite sure what they are, and sweet-potatoes that have been roasted on the street.

All the friends I've met. I am still overwhelmed by how kind everyone has been. I'm also incredibly grateful to all those that befriended me while I was here, and I hope will continue\e to be my friend despite the distances between us.

Some very interesting people I've met on the train to Shanghai or Wuxi

The chance to learn Kung Fu (or Wu Shu as it is properly called)

All the glittery cute stuff for your hair (although it can be frustrating when you want something neither glittery or cute)

That men here are not ashamed of loving Pooh bear or cute overload. (being able to use a "hello kitty" wrist guard, without shame or irony, at work shows an amazing masculine security)

Riding my bike through the Suzhou university campus-- it is very beautiful.

Watching the cats that play on the rooftops as I make my coffee in the morning

It is weird sometimes, now that I know I'm leaving, I feel so much more affection for the place and the people.

I will definitely miss China, and Asia.

No comments: