Friday, March 9, 2007

ohh my

Well, I rolled into Hanoi, about 5pm, found a hotel near "swan lake" and wandered around. I should feel a bit guilty, as the next day, when I should have been looking at cultural sites etc, I spent the afternoon drinking chocolate martinis and listening to jazz. I like Vietnam because they like coffee almost as much as I do. The big difference is they like it much stronger than I do, and they put sweetened condenced milk in it. It makes for quite the rich brew.
The Vietnamese are for the most part very friendly, and the motorcycle boys are similar to the ones in China: 3 or 4 piled on one bike, shouting and laughing and ready to say something encouring. At least that is what I think they are saying.
I've also managed to make friends with a waterbuffalo/oxen type animal. It was interesting.
I'm now in a small town called Phu li. They say Highway 1 has too much traffic, and maybe because I am used to China I don't really feel it. Yeah going into and out of the towns or cities there is traffic, but it isn't THAT bad. I didn't find a really good map in Hanoi, so hopefully in Hue I will. I think I'm also going to have to get a visa extention. I don't think I'll make it to Ho Chi Mhin city by the 20th.
Till I post again, be good, be happy and have fun.

1 comment:

Raymond said...

Hello Christine. Greetings from your cousin. What an amazing journey you're on. Incredible. Fantastic. Compelling. And I've only read one day's worth! Seriously everyone here is amazed by what you are doing, and we all wish you well and to be safe. So keep your chin up and here's hoping all your roads are flat. Till I post again, be SAFE, be HAPPY, and watch out for the motorcycle boys.
P.S. I stole that last line from a great writer I know.