Thursday, March 29, 2007

back in the saddle again

It felt sooooo good to finally leave Hue, and be back on my bike. For the first couple of hours. It dawned on me that I probably should have ridden my bike a bit more. Then I got sunburned, despite spf 30 sunscreen. I was wearing my new shorts, and my poor thighs haven't seen the sun in a long time. They were a wee bit ill prepared.
There were hills and mountains as well. The first mountain pass was fairly easy, and pretty small and short. The second mountain pass was a bit more steep, but it didn't last that long. The third mountain pass was more difficult and a bit higher and steeper. When I got to Lang Co, I decided to stop. It is a beach resort town, but I really didn't want to sit in any more sun. I'm a bit, how can I put it, not too happy with sunshine right now. I sat on the balcony of my hotel and watched the world go by instead. There was no electricity again, I think it its a nation wide problem.
I'm so glad I waited till morning to start the last mountain pass to get to DaNang. It reminded me of the mountain that wouldn't' end in China. Only this one did end. Apparently I'm inspiring to a couple from Chicago. They couldn't get over that I was doing this by myself. That made me feel good. Especially since on the way up the mountain I didn't get any spectacular views, because that morning it was spectacularly foggy.
On the away down I did get a glimpse of the bay surrounded by the fog shrouded mountain. It was worth the trip.
I then headed out of Da Nang, and on to Hoi An. I thought Hoi An was on Hwy 1, but again, I was wrong.
But I now know how to get to Hwy 1, my hotel has a deck overlooking the river (and I'm about to go and have a coffee there after I post this) and I had a wonderful fried noodle w/pumpkin for dinner.
Life is ok.
Till I post again, be good, be happy, and have fun

1 comment:

Damoejoe said...

Christine how are you doing! It's me Joe I am still in Suzhou. I have been reading your blogs, and it is quite inspiring what you are doing. I actually got a bike not so long ago, and it reminded me of your journey. I wish you the best...I will continue reading..Take care