Monday, April 30, 2007

Blue river

Left early in the morning. As I was waiting for the ferry to cross the Mekong to get to the road to the border, I sat and watched the sun rise over the water. It had rained last night so the clouds and water made a spectacular showing. The road from Strung Treng was either paved and pretending to be gravel, or gravel pretending to be paved. I couldn't decide. It was fairly green near the river, but then as I got further away and closer to the boarder, I could see more and more of the red dirt, now grateful for the rain. There were craters waiting to be lakes and ponds and a village of 6 houses. (is that enough to be a village?). I got a flat about 1/2 way to the boarder. I tried to pump it up, then my pump broke. Fortunately a van that was to pick up some tourists from Lao stopped. I had to pay 15 dollars, but I not only got to the border, but to a town on the Laos side (the driver of the other van going home.)
I found a person to fix my tire, then took a boat on to one of the islands (of the 4,000 island fame). I am now at a Internet cafe after spending some time at a small riverside restaurant. I watched some logs drift by, some fish dart across, and a tree that looked rather like a picture dictionary entry for tree, with its branches outstretched over the river. There was a rock just under the water that reminded me of Shrek's face before it was quite finished. Why do we always want to put a face on things I wonder? The pace here is beyond slow.
Tomorrow I'll head to Paxie, but it will probably take about two days.
Till I post again, be good, be happy, and have fun

2 comments:

Chris Lee said...

Hi, Christine. The only word I want to say now is "WOW". You are approaching the success closer and closer. I am so proud of you. Good luck.
By the way, I have already got my driving license after two months' lessons.

christine'sbiketour said...

Chris,
Congratulations.
I knew you could do it!!