Wednesday, April 25, 2007

a take on two cities

Leaving Kampoog Cham on highway 7 to Memot was very pleasant. Except for the heat. It is oppressive to say the least. However I did have a very pleasant reprive when on the road, two monks stopped me and asked me some questions. They then invited me to their "pagoda" (it wasn't really a pagoda, it was a very nice temple, with brightly painted walls depecting the life of Budha) He was very proud of the new ceiling. And I learned that Buddha didn't attain enlightenment until after he ate rice. I like that story. I also learned that a lot of monks become monks to be able to study. It is a system like the Catholics in previous centuries. After the pleasant repose, I traveled on to Memot. A very pleasant city. I found a nice guest house, that was clean and pleasantly furnished, and had dinner at a very nice resturant around the corner. (I had rice and two dishes, for only 2,000 reils-- a fact that becomes important later.)
The next morning I started early, and went to Snol. Now, I arrived in Snol quite early, only 11:30, but, I knew I couldn't go 80 more kilometers that day, and that is how far Kraitie was. I could have gotten a bus to Kraitie, but I decided to stay because I didn't know if I would have to get transport from Kraitie to Strung Treng (Strung Treng is 130 km from Kratie) -- ok in Snol there was only one guest house, and it was dirty. And became scary when I found a largish ugly bug crawling out of the drain in the bathroom. I know I've been doing this for too long because I didn't scream, and I didn't stop what I was doing. When I'd finished my business, I took said largish scary bug outside. No muss no fuss. I went to dinner. The place wasn't nice, but I was hungry. I had rice and two dishes for 4,000 reil. When I said something the woman became very unpleasant. Now keep in mind this was the worst time since I've been here, and it wasn't that bad. Plus Snol is a bus stop town. The only industry that I could see is the bus stop. But still.
I left as early as possible.
The road to Kraitie was long. And there were fewer villages. And only two sugar cane juice stands. I hope this doesn't mean that in Laos there won't be anymore sugar cane juice.
Although the road was flat flat flat, and dusty till now, it is now getting more hilly. Not anything huge, but not flat either. Plus it is getting green and junglish. And the villages although farther apart are looking quite prosperous.
I am staying here in Kratie today and tomorrow. I have to decide what to do about getting to Strung Treng. I don't know if I can make 130 km, and there are no towns big enough for a hotel on the road. There may be temples though. And I might be able to push myself.
Right now there is a sudden storm. I look out the door of the cafe, and the wind is blowing the awnings and non-tied down things all around the street. But the wind, feels soooooooo good. It has a touch of chill.
I should probably get off the computer now.
Till I post again, be good, be happy, and have fun.

No comments: