Sunday, April 1, 2007

Christine the red nosed human, had a very shiny nose

And if you ever saw it, you could even say it glows.

I have problems.
As you can guess by the title, one of the problems is the sun. I'm beginning to resemble my grandmother's patchwork quilt, I keep burning and peeling. I even got blisters on my thighs. Plus the heat, it is so bad. I met another cyclist on the road, he was a young guy from the Netherlands, and I didn't feel so bad when he mentioned the heat the first thing. ( he was trying to do 110 km a day, was really decked out, even had the front wheel bags and gloves, the whole nine yards)
I'm hoping that in Na Trang (a beach town) I can get some stronger sunscreen. I'm really starting to worry a bit.
Which leads me to my second problem. Every other day I want to just quit. (thanks Joe, for the pick me up) Don't get me wrong, Vietnam is beautiful, China was beautiful. I want to see Laos, I like seeing the world roll by, farmers stopping in the field to wave hello, school girls in their white uniform laughing and shouting and flying a red kite, rice drying gold on the side of the road, a french colonial house set back and painted an impossible pink, drinking sugar cane juice from a stand on the side of the road, under a broad leafed shade tree. Not things for the tourist books or postcards, but still, they make the trip worthwhile. (although I have been known to take a break and 'forget' to lock the bike in the hopes it might get stolen, giving me a face saving way out)
And for me it is the journey, not the destination that is important. Which leads me to my third problem. Hue really did a number on my budget. I have a few options, I can get money sent again, I can change my route and go from Na Trang to Laos, from Laos to Thailand, Thailand to Cambodia, Cambodia back to Thailand, Thailand to Malaysia, Malaysia to Singapore. There are a couple of problems with this plan. One is that I won't get to see most of southern Vietnam. Two is that I will have to back track and go over the same route in Cambodia. I could also just go through Cambodia and skip Laos, but since Laos is one of my favorite countries here I really don't want to do that.
I stare at the map as if it had answers. I don't know why, it isn't that good a map anyway.
I'll probably stick to the original "plan" if you can call it that, and get money sent. I want to splurge on the mineral mud bath massage in Na Treng, and I want to take a detour into Dalat.
This trip although not exactly meticulously planned, is going to take a wee bit longer and cost a wee bit more than originally anticipated.
I'll figure it out. Meanwhile, there is a beautiful coffee shop right on the ocean, calling my name.
So, till I post again, be good, be happy, and have fun.

1 comment:

Raymond said...

Hey Christine,
Hang in there kid. Somehow I think when you're old and gray (or maybe just old and not gray), and you're looking back on this journey, you'll hardly remember the bad parts. OK maybe some of them. OK maybe all of them. But I'm sure you'll remember the good stuff more. So keep on truckin' and letting us follow you on your journey.
Best Wishes from your family in Illinois