Thursday, May 24, 2007

Against the wind

I am so tired. So far I have had to go at least 100 km, and it has been against the wind. It makes it much more difficult. Tomorrow I'm going to try to get to Saraburri in one day.
Leaving Khon Kean the road was great. Until. I saw a truck get a flat tire. I heard it first, then saw him go over to the shoulder. I thought, poor guy. Then I got a flat tire. I thought a bunch of very bad words. I was lucky though, because I very kind old man and his very kind daughter picked me up in their truck. They dropped me off at a tire repair shop. I was able to keep going.
I stoped for a few minutes a Phon, where I had originally planned to stop, but they were having major road repairs. Finding the hotel would have been difficult. I asked a highway cop if there was anything down the road. There was. So I headed down the road. I kept going, and kept going. I knew there was something supposed to be there, but I couldn't find it. Luckily again there were some highway cops hanging out on the shoulder.
They tried to explain where the hotel/resort was, but because their English was pretty bad, they gave up, and had me follow them. In their car. In the heat. After I'd already gone 100 km. I thought I was going to die. But the hotel was very very nice. And, bonus, they spoke English. Their son had studied in the US, and we had a very nice talk over lychee fruit and pepsi.
One of the things I don't like about Thailand is that instead of little fruit/sugarcane juice stands they have little convience stores. So instead of juice, I drink alot more pepsi and 7up. On the plus side, the cows here have floppy ears. It is like someone switched their ears with flopsy rabbit's ears. It makes me smile.
I'm now in Korat. A small little city that tourism kinda passed by. I'm going to get something to eat, then crash early. I have to start by 5 am if I want to get to Saraburri by tomorrow evening.
Till I post again, be good, be happy and have fun.

2 comments:

Chris Lee said...

Christine, it's great you could alwasy meet some kind people. I'd like to visit Jane and I will say hi to her for you. Take care, we all miss you so much.

christine'sbiketour said...

Thanks,
tell Jane I'd love to hear from her.