Saturday, May 26, 2007

Yeah baby, she's got it

I seem to have a weird tape loop of songs going through my head most days.
I left Korat early early early, and did indeed make it to Saraburri. It was dark by the time I found a hotel. The town had 4 hospitals and 2 hotels. I thought it a bit weird. I also find I'm a bit disappointed because I thought Thailand was more developed, so I had hoped there would be more places to stop and sleep. ( on the road to Saraburri there were a couple of resorts- one was a winery kinda like Nappa valley in Thailand, and they were all at least 11 km away from the road on a dusty dirt road.) The road wasn't too bad, except for a couple of viscous dogs and an even more viscous tree - it scratched me up! - and some serious hills, and a very large snake that was thankfully already dead.
The hotel I wouldn't have found if it weren't for a very cute kid who spoke surprisingly good English, didn't have a very beautiful bathroom. Now mind I've just gone 145 km and I am beyond exhausted. I can barely move to go back downstairs and grab my bag. Plus the lady gave me an excellent discount when she saw the bike. The shower had the best water pressure I've had since I started my trip. It was wonderful. I still didn't sleep well because I was just too tired.
I planned on getting a bus at Norburri. Ha.
First the signs were a bit confusing, so I wound up on the wrong highway. (still going to Bangkok, but not to Norburri) I am going fairly slow, mostly because I can't go fast.
I try to get a bus, but the only buses are "local" buses. And they won't take my bike because they don't have room. Then I try one of the pick-up buses. The guy who was driving wanted 1,500 baht. (this is about $ 40 US- and to put it in perspective, most hotels I've been staying at are about 350-400 baht, and you can buy a very nice sofa for 1,000 baht. I go another 5 km to another bus station. I finally find a pick-up truck taxi and get into Bangkok. I couldn't get into the city without it, not just because I was tired, but because the traffic was unbelievable. I also had a hard time finding room for tonight because no one could find a safe place for the bike.
Tomorrow I will go to the bank, go to the tailor's, go to the dentist, and the bike repair shop for another tune up. The next day I will rest. After that, I plan on getting a tourist bus - one with the big luggage compartments- to the next town, and out of Bangkok.
At least that is the plan for now.
Till I post again, be good, be happy, and have fun.

No comments: