Saturday, May 19, 2007

Truckn'

Made it to Udon Thani. The road to the friendship bridge was a )long and b) seriously messed up. They were doing construction. I got to Nogkai early still, and found a very very very nice guest house right on the river. I also found a good used bookstore, one cool lady who was doing a yoga retreat, and an older retired man who told me my journey was quote "epic" unquote. I felt pretty good. Overall a very cool vibe. The road to Udon Thani was good, and I made good time, and finally found a hotel. Actually I found a few. One didn't have toilet paper. (It really wasn't that cheap) The other was nice, but expensive. I finally found one that was nice enough, and cheap enough.
Thailand is way noisier, dirtier and busier than Laos. I think I might have some culture shock today. (Nogkai was kinda Laos-ish)
Tomorrow is a big day, the next big town is 100 km again. I'm starting to get used to it. I thought about getting the Lonely Planet, but really it doesn't have much that I need. For example, where are the places to sleep that aren't in the big towns and cities, and are on the road? That is the question I want the guide books to answer. (So far, neither Rough Guide, Lonely Planet or Let's Go have this crucial information.-- I decided to save the money and have a very very nice dinner instead.)
Oh and lest I forget again, in Laos I met a guy who was cycling around the world for charity. He was very nice, and so was his girlfriend who was joining him for part of the trip.
His blog, and info on the charity is

www.cyclingroundtheworld.co.uk

Till I post again, be good, be happy and have fun.

No comments: