Saturday, June 9, 2007

May -day

So far Malaysia is beautiful, easy, and has some pretty good road side food. I found out about that from the rainstorm I decided to wait out. I'm in Kangar, about 30 km from the border. I'd be in Alor Setar, but... In Hat Yai there was a major problem with the bike on a bus. I don't understand why Thailand has such a problem with bikes. Bangkok had the same deal. Anyway it set me back a bit.
I had read that western women (that would be me) will have a hard time here because it is mostly conservative Muslim. And I see a lot more headscarves than I do pony-tails. But no one has said anything to me or even looked at me dirty. And most of the comments while on my bike fall into the standard. Whooo whoooo and some form of encouragement, usually accompanied by a thumbs up sign. You can't believe anything you read in some of the guide books.
When we finally got on the charter van (because the bus refused even after I showed them how) I looked around and you know what? I bet it would have been ok to ride the bike. Of course I doubt the radical faction is very visible -- I doubt they wear name tags. Hello, my name is Something and I'll be your terrorist today. But it didn't seem to be dangerous, or scary. And like I said, this town is supposed to have nothing going on, and be hell for western women. I found an interesting market, walked around some, ate ice cream, and haven't been hassled at all.
Till I post again, be good, be happy and have fun.

1 comment:

Blue Ghost said...

Hi Christine,
Stay safe, luv and hugs.
Peace,
Sandy