Thursday, February 1, 2007

All part of the adventure

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days. It has been quite the adventure. I left Wenzhou in good time, and started on the road with the sun in my face and a nice breeze on my back. I should have known it couldn't last. I wanted to make much better time, but the road was under construction, and so it was very slow going. By now none of the signs have any English, so I don't quite know where I was going but it was on the map.
I got into the first town-whose-name-I-don't-know-how-to-say-in-English-but-I'm-glad-I-could-find-on-the-map in the late afternoon. I found a semi-nice hotel that was really quite cheap. I was feeling pretty good until I gave them my passport. This seemed to freak them out somewhat, so they called the police. The policeman had to make several phone calls while I waited, rather nervously. He asked me a bunch of questions, but I'm not sure what they were, as I couldn't understand him. Finally he asked when I was leaving and where I was going. I told him I would be leaving early in the morning and I was headed for Fuzhou. (I'm sure the town had an internet cafe, but after the brouhaha I felt it much safer to just stay in.)
I left very early the next morning. It was cold, but the road seemed flat.
I should have known it wasn't going to last.
I kept going, and then ran into the mountain-that-wouldn't-quit. I'm serious. I went uphill, and uphill and uphill and uphill. The road was really bad in places too. It had been paved in concrete and it was all broken up so that it was like a cobblestone street, but loose. I had to get off the bike and push in several places. This did not make me feel better about making good time on my trip. The road went down somewhat a few times, but it was just a ruse to give me false hope. It would go back uphill very quickly. It was very beautiful, but I still wanted it to end soon.
I couldn't find the town I was finally came to by sunset, it wasn't on the map. I found a room for only 20 yuan a night. It was exactly as you would expect for that price. (and the bathroom is something I never want to talk about again-and I'm traveling in China, so I've seen some "interesting" bathrooms)- however the people who ran the place were pretty cool. The husband had had a stroke or something, he couldn't use one hand very well, but his son was really funny and they invited me to eat with the family. I slept good though, between the exhaustion of the hill and the quiet of the little mountain village.
The next day it went much better, I went down hill much more, but not totally, and although down hill is much more fun than up hill, it is still kinda scary especially since the roads don't have any safety rails and in some places it was a straight drop. It was still beautiful. That day was much easier, but I was still in the mountains so it wasn't really easy going. I did have to push up the bike in a few places just because the incline was so steep. I finally made it to the second-town-whose-name-I-don't-know-but-I'm-glad-I-could-find-it-on-the-map. I was now 80 km from Ningde. It was quite the bustling little burg, but I didn't find the Internet cafe. To be honest I was pretty knackered and went to bed quite early. The hotel used to be quite nice, and you could tell that once upon a time it was quite luxurious. Not today mind, but once. It made me a little sad.
The day started cold again, but you could tell it was going to warm up. It was much more down hill and I even followed a river for most of the journey to Ningde. I still had to climb a bit, but the inclines weren't as steep and didn't last as long. I thought I made ok time. I was very tempted to take a bus when I was 20km before Ningde. ( I was sitting at the cross roads eating some kind of bread with green bean filling that was much better tasting than it sounds, when the bus pulled up.) but I decided in for a penny and all that, plus it was only20 more km. Most of it was flat. I should have known it wasn't going to last. There was one more steep -and I mean steep incline right before the town. I almost cried when I turned the corner and saw it.
Needless to say I made it. I'm in Ningde now, and tonight, tomorrow I will head for Fuzhou, and I'm hoping to make it in two days. I got my bike maintained (brakes tightened, gears lubed, tires checked) and I've checked my e-mail, and I do love you all. Thanks for comments it does encourage me.
I've decided that after all this, I like flat best. Although downhill can be fun, flat is really really good.
Until I post again, be good, be happy, and have some fun.

1 comment:

janna.zhou said...

chris:my poor baby...you did perfect....when taking loss with a cheerful grin;and going onward despite defeat...it is doing your noblest ....actually i find it from my book...and i read your this page for one hour.. some words i cant know meaning...so i must go to find out ...but i like to do that..i wanna to know what are you goning?and are you safe ?and did you meet some problem how to do...now iknow..you all fixed ...i proud of you,and take care..like some road very steep and dangerous ,go another way...be safe is the first thing...put on a happy face in your next trip,my dear...i behind of you forever...