Saturday, February 24, 2007

Hey now

Apparently you must take a bus to get out of Hong Kong. And. I got lost getting out of Shenzhen (I don't think it is very funny, but go ahead and laugh if you must).
So.... I was hoping to get to Guangzhou today, but then when I got on the right road (finally) I realized that was going to be a joke. I average about 50 km a day. Some days I push it to 70 and a couple of days I made it to 80, but most of the time it is around 50-60. Guangzhou is 13o km from Shenzhen. And. I didn't get on the right road until 11:30. Once on the road I had a nice lunch. It was like the little bouzi you get in Suzhou, but with vegetables, and there was a lovely peanut sauce. Plus the roadside stand had my favorite ice tea. So I was cruising, despite some seriously messed up traffic. Apparently there are a lot of "local" buses that go between towns. They don't have one stop- they stop and pick people up all along the way. (this causes some "interesting" traffic situations) Then the shoulder disappeared. They are, I think, adding some lanes to the highway. So the shoulder is either not there or seriously not paved. I'm trying to be zen about the whole thing, and just put it as part of the adventure and another margarita story when I get home. If I don't make it to the border by March 3rd I'll take a bus. My visa is only for 2 weeks and it starts March 5th. The woman at the embassy in Hong Kong said that I couldn't go earlier, or enter later. Apparently they are a bit strict.
I still don't have a map.
But that is part of the adventure too.
Till I post again, be good, be happy and have fun.

No comments: