Saturday, February 10, 2007

bad karma

sigh. My bad karma is kinda continuing. I am ok, but I lost 100.00USD to a couple of con men from India. I feel so stupid. Thankfully they did not take my rmb (Chinese money) or my passport. I made it to a semi-largish city, got a room, and was lucky enough to run into a very very kind man who spoke English fairly well. He helped me to call my aunt, and to e-mail my uncle, letting me use his laptop when I couldn't find an Internet cafe near by. He then showed me around town and to the cheaper grocery store so I could get some coffee for the next morning. I can't believe I am so stupid!!! Aunt Mary Grace did make me feel better about it, by saying "these things happen, we're just glad you are alright."
I didn't sleep that well of course. But today I made it to Zangzhou, and found a very cheap hotel. it isn't very luxurious but it has the triumvirate of things I need: clean sheets, my own bathroom, and hot water. Tomorrow morning I will check my e-mail for the Western Union tracking number from Uncle David, and then go to China post (sorry David, but Agricultural bank is closed on Sunday, but China post isn't).
Actually I am very lucky if you think about it. I have enough money for tonight, tomorrow night and if I need it, the next night. I have my passport. I am ok. I have family that can bail me out, and I can get the money I need (although I am very irritated that I have to get the money early :( . but I do have the money I need. If worst came to worst I could probably find a school that would give me room and board and enough money for the next leg if I taught for a month. I have a safe place to stay tonight and I will be getting dinner soon. I have coffee for tomorrow morning.
Thank you Uncle David, Aunt Mary Grace and David Lu.
I will post tomorrow and tell you how it went.
Till then, be good, be careful and have fun.

2 comments:

Chris Lee said...

The most important thing is you are ok. Don't think those con men any more. You are doing so well. I am proud of you. By the way, maybe you can enjoy Spring Festival somewhere in china. Good luck, Christine.

janna.zhou said...

chris:my chris, i feel sad the bad thing happened,and i feel angry that bad couple...but the lunky thing you are fine now...be careful some bad guy and take care yourself...i love you ,because you always too nice to everyone and you believe this world is good and sunside...because you are good person..so i think you will meet nice people in your next trip...believe yourself ..you really very great....but actually i still worried about you ...safe or not and have enough money or feel tired like something else...sorry about i always like grandma...i wish you good karma in your next trip...be safe...be good