Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Can't think of a cool title at the moment

The next day, it had rained so the shoulder situation was much much worse. I peddled, thinking zen, peddle peddle, think zen. Then the road widened and life was good. I made it to Dangguang and I must say it was a lovely town. I wanted to stop but it was only 12:30 and I know I kinda have a deadline now. I did find a map however. And I only got lost a little bit, and that led me to the book shop with the map. It is a beautiful little city, clean, lots of parks, and a good atmosphere. Like I said, there really isn't much difference between cities, just that each one has its own personality. I liked this cities personality a lot. But I kept going.

I stopped at a little roadside stand a few miles away, and got dive bombed by bird poop. They got me twice. I swear it was like they had smart bomb bird poo. It didn't get my bag (bright yellow target that would have been) it got me. I decided it was a sign to move on.

I found a cheap little hotel, and the people were quite nice, but the bed was not comfortable and they had mosquitoes. So I didn't sleep very well. But at 7:00 am I was happy.
I was just outside of Guangzhou, and I thought I could get onto the next road by noon. Ha. I didn't even get lost!! It was just that Guangzhou is a huge city. Spread out huge. The road I was on led almost to the road I wanted to go to, but .... I kept going and going. I thought the city was pretty cool, and I did get a picture of a bike with baskets of chickens and ducks (I wanted one because it is so very China) and I did get a nice lunch of roast duck, but... The road kept going, through exurbs and suburbs and this nightmare of a train station. I kept peddling and thinking zen peddling and thinking zen. By 3:00 I wanted to cry. I turned off where the police said I should, and there was a sign before a very long bridge. No bikes, No pedestrians. Everyone was passing me on foot and on bike, ignoring the sign. I saw another police booth and asked the police man (thinking he was going to wave me away)- and he pointed over the bridge. I guess the sign wasn't valid anymore.

I crossed the bridge, next to the train tracks ( I even got to see two trains pass very close by) and got into a small town. (not quite on the road yet) I kept thinking- will this city never end?
It is a nice enough city, but....
This morning I woke up early, and decided that if the city didn't end by the end of the day, and I didn't get on the right road, I would quit and take a bus. But the road did show up finally and the city did kinda end. I felt pretty good. I got into Sanshui by noon. Sanshui was another really nice little city. Busy and clean and friendly. So many people smiled at me. I went into a little shop to buy something and the three boys running the shop insisted on giving me tea. They were watching a basketball game between the Boston and Huston. They were fans of Boston. (I think).
I didn't make it all the way to Zhouqing, but I'm in a very nice little town, with very nice people and some very good food. Tomorrow is another day. Peddle peddle, think zen, peddle peddle, think zen.
Till I post again, be good, be happy, and have fun.

1 comment:

Eme said...

Miss you girl! Stick with it I think you are fabulous! I am glad you are doing well, and I wish you the best of luck!