Thursday, February 8, 2007

And so it goes

It has been flat and nice, and I'm doing well. So when I get to one small town, past Putian, I decide I can keep going (it was only 12:00 noon)-- first mistake? So I keep going and pass several small towns with hotel/motels. Well, it is getting later and later so I decide I need to stop. I ask a police station, Nali? where is a hotel/motel? I usually have to use a lot of sign language, but it usually works. Not this time. Well fortunately or unfortunately, I ran into a kid about 15 years old he said, "follow me" I know where a hotel is - about 1 km away. Well 1 km out of the way isn't so bad. Ha. after one more hour of riding- I ask - where the hell is this hotel? - We keep going. I ask where we are on the map. It turns out we are about 15 km out of the way, and I'm not so sure I know how to get back on the main road. Hmph. Well the hotel was nice, and relatively cheap and I was about to forgive the kid after my shower. That is when the bad Chinese disco music from hell started. I want to kill that kid.
The next morning I woke up late, and a bit grumpy (not my usual start). Hmph. I make it to Quanzhou, at around 2:00. I decide to stop and take half a rest day. I can't find a hotel. I am starting to worry about getting lost in the city. I did finally find a hotel, for more than I wanted to spend. Then I found this Internet cafe. I almost didn't get on the computer though because you need a special card, and of course I don't have a special card since I'm not from here. Finally I was able to purchase a special card and here I am. I don't know what god or gods I've offended to run into this bad karma - but I will burn some spirit money tonight and hope that it goes away. At least this hotel has breakfast (although I don't really think that it is worth it, the street bouzi are so much better)
I should make it into Hong Kong in a week. (If all goes well)
To be philosophical about it all, I've been traveling a lot, and for the most part, it has been a good journey. Sandy you are right, I am having a blast.
Till I post again, be good, be careful, and do something nice for the next person you see.

No comments: